- Log on and click the Portfolio tab on the home page. If creating your first portfolio, a page titled Select Portfolio or Watch list will appear.
- Choose your entry method, either Create New or Import. Create New allows you to manually enter investments. Import allows you to import your portfolio from a csv file. Our system can only import files that are 8 MB in size or smaller.
- Two different kinds of portfolios can be built-- Watch List and Transaction. Watch List Portfolios can be built by simply assigning the individual stocks, funds and ETFs you wish to track without requiring any additional information. Transaction Portfolios allow more details to be added, enabling greater historical tracking and analysis. Choose the type you wish to build by clicking on the appropriate button.
- Click on the Continue button.
- If you choose Create New, you’ll see three tabs--Stock/Fund, Bond, and Cash. Click on each tab to enter different types of holdings. First, enter your Portfolio name.
With a Portfolio, you’ll need to enter date of purchase, ticker (for Stock/Fund) or Name (for Bond or Cash), quantity, and purchase price. If unsure of purchase price, click on the $ icon next to the price column and the program will auto-populate the historical price based on purchase date. If building a Watch List, you’re only required to enter the ticker symbol (for Stock/Fund) or name (for Bond and Cash), and all other fields are optional. Use your tab key or mouse to move from one field to the next.
You may enter as many as 140 holdings. Once finished, click the Done button.
- The Choose Your Portfolio Monitoring Features page will then allow you to sign up for portfolio e-mail updates. Once you have selected your options, click Done.
- If you choose Import, you’ll be prompted to select a file to import. You can browse your directories to find your file and when added, click Continue. Your file will be imported into Portfolio Manager.
- Verify that all your information is correct or make any necessary changes and click Continue. You now have an active portfolio.
- Now you will see your portfolio. You can change the view in the Tracking tab or Click on the My View tab to create your own personalized view.
How do I create a portfolio on Morningstar.com?
Should I sell my fund if it got downgraded?
How do I compare investments across investment universes?
What’s the difference between Morningstar Basic and Morningstar Premium?
How do I update my profile information?
Where can I find help for Portfolio Manager?
I forgot my password. How do I reset it?