Morningstar Office Privacy Statement
Last Updated: November 18, 2020
Your privacy is important to us. This Privacy Statement describes how we collect your information when you use Morningstar Office, how we use and share your information, how we keep it secure, and your rights relating to your personal information. This Privacy Statement should be read in conjunction with the Privacy Statement applicable to the jurisdiction you reside in and your agreement with us. If your financial advisor has given your personal information to Morningstar, please contact your financial advisor directly.
If you would like to learn more about Morningstar’s approach to privacy and security, including information specific to your jurisdiction, please Contact Us.
Types of information we collect.
When you use Morningstar Office or communicate with us you may provide us with information about you or your clients including:
· Personal identifiers, such as your name, date of birth, your account name, street address, phone number, email address, or identification numbers, such as driver’s license number, Social Security Number, taxpayer ID number, or passport number.
· Age, gender, and other characteristics protected by law.
· Address information, such as street address and email address
· Phone number
· Personal identification numbers, such as Social Security Number, Taxpayer Identification Number and Employee Identification Number
· Financial account information, such as portfolio holdings, transactions, account numbers, and credit card information. We only collect credit card information as needed for payment purposes.
· Employment information
We may also collect certain usage information when you use our sites, including Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, log files, browser type, and other related information.
How we use your information.
Our products use your information to provide you with analysis about your investments’ performance as well as other financial management tools. We may use your information to contact you to support your account or to provide you with notices related to our services. We also use information from our website, such as IP address information, to improve the services we offer.
How we share your information.
Morningstar won’t sell your personal information. We’ll only share your information with organizations outside of Morningstar in the following cases:
· When you ask us to share your information with third-party organizations, including marketers.
· With vendors or other third parties who work on our behalf for the purposes described in this statement.
· Where needed to comply with legal obligations.
· We also use and share anonymized customer information for research purposes and to improve our products. When we share your information for these purposes, we always remove any information that can identify you.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that any third party that receives your information keeps it safe, including contractually requiring those third parties to keep your information confidential.
We won’t sell your information and we won’t share your information with a third-party unless we have your consent or in the limited cases we describe above.
How we keep your information secure.
The security of your information is our priority. We maintain a comprehensive information security program that requires that we use physical, technical, and procedural safeguards designed to keep your information safe. We also use encryption when we transfer your information (encryption in transit). It’s important to note that this document is intended for public distribution and that we don’t provide specific details regarding our security controls here.
How we store your information
We only store our United States customers’ information in the United States. We don’t transfer our customers’ information to other countries.
We’ll retain your information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected or to comply with legal, regulatory or internal policy requirements.
You have the right to access or control the personal information that we store. If you have an account with us, you can manage your or your customers’ information from your Office profile. Please note that information deleted from within the Office application will not necessarily be deleted from all Morningstar systems. If you would like to permanently delete your Office profile or any information stored in your Office database, please contact our support team at email@example.com or (866) 215-2503.
You also have the right to ask us for the general types of information we collect about our customers, who we collect it from, how we use or share it, and our business purpose for collecting, using or sharing this information.
We won’t discriminate against our customers who choose to exercise their rights to access, control or delete their personal information. Some of our products and services, however, may require your personal information. If you choose not to provide your personal information, you may not be able to use those products or services.
The California Consumer Privacy Act requires that we list the categories of our customers’ personal information that we’ve sold or disclosed for business purposes in the last twelve (12) months.
· Sales: In the last twelve (12) months, we haven’t sold our customers’ information.
· Disclosures: In the last twelve (12) months, we’ve only disclosed customer information as directed by our customers. We’ve disclosed personal identifiers (for example, name and account information) and commercial information (for example, transaction or investment-related information) to financial service providers and to customers and their agents directly.
By using Morningstar Office, you consent to our collection and use of your personal information as described in this Privacy Statement and in your or your employer's binding agreement with us.
How we revise this statement.
Our business frequently changes, and we may need to update this statement to reflect those changes. When we make changes to this privacy statement, we’ll revise the “last updated” date at the top of this page. If we make material changes to this statement, we’ll notify you directly as required by law.
22 W. Washington St.
Chicago, IL 60602
Attn: Chief Privacy Officer
To find the Morningstar contact in your country, please visit our list of office contacts.