Hong Kong Privacy Disclosures
Last updated: March 13, 2020
Collection and use of your Personal Information
How we collect your Personal Information
Morningstar collects your Personal Information through your interactions with us or from third party sources. Specifically, we collect your information when:
- You use, purchase or subscribe to our products or services.
- You interact with us, including when you ask us for support, attend one of our events or otherwise contact us.
We may also collect information about you from third parties, including:
- Your employer, organization or other third party who arranges access to our products and services for you.
- Our partners and other service providers who work with us to provide you with our products or services. For example, with your consent, we may receive your information from your bank or other financial institutions.
- Your financial advisor, who may give us personal information about you when they use our products or services.
- Other publicly available sources.
Personal Information we collect
The types of Personal Information we collect depend on your interactions with us and may include the following:
- Name and contact information. Your first and last name, email address, postal address, phone number and other contact information.
- Account credentials. Your user ID, password, password hints and other similar security information used to authenticate your account.
- Demographic information. Your age, sex, geographic location and preferred language.
- Subscription and usage information. Information about the products or services you subscribe to and how you use them, including preferences, browsing history and help information.
- Device and network information. Information about your device, such as IP address, location or internet service provider.
- Financial and portfolio information. Information about your finances, portfolio and transactions.
- Audio or video information. If you visit a Morningstar location or participate in a Morningstar event, Morningstar may record your image or voice.
- User content. Your files or other information you upload to our products or services.
How we use Personal Information
How Morningstar uses your Personal Information depends on the product and service you use and your relationship with us. By using our products or services, you consent to our use of your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Provide you with our products and services, including to verify your identity, personalize the content you receive, create and administer your account and send important account and product update information;
- Provide you content or offers of content from third parties that you request;
- Provide you customer service, technical and product support;
- Provide you with marketing or targeted third-party advertisements;
- Conduct research and develop, improve, test and enhance the features and functions of our products and services;
- Protect your, our, or third parties’ networks, systems, property, or physical safety;
- Comply with requests from regulatory agencies, law enforcement and other public and government authorities;
- Enforce our contracts, terms and conditions, or otherwise exercise our legal rights and to defend ourselves from claims and to comply with laws and regulations that apply to us or third parties with whom we work;
- Participate in any merger, acquisition or other corporate transaction; and
- Meet our or third parties’ audit and compliance requirements.
Sharing of your Personal Information
Morningstar may share your Personal Information with third parties (including those outside of Hong Kong) for the purposes described above subject to any applicable security assessments. Such third parties include other Morningstar companies, our business partners, content providers, clients, service providers, and other third parties with whom we have agreed to share information. We may also share your Personal Information as part of a transaction involving a merger, acquisition, public offering, or other similar transaction involving our business.
How we protect, store, and transfer your Personal Information
Morningstar maintains a comprehensive information security program, including incident response and notification procedures, which are intended to keep your information safe. We have administrative, technical, physical, and organizational measures in place to protect against unauthorized access to, or unauthorized alteration, disclosure, or destruction of personal information. However, you should be aware that no amount of diligence can eliminate all risks to your Personal Information, including its disclosure to or access by an unauthorized party.
Morningstar stores Personal Information locally in Hong Kong and in other jurisdictions. We operate secure data networks protected by industry-standard firewall and password protection systems. Our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorized individuals have access to the information provided.
Morningstar, its affiliated companies, operators, workforce, and service providers are located throughout the world. Depending on how you interact with us, your personal information may be processed, stored, accessed from, or transferred to different jurisdictions outside of Hong Kong subject to any applicable security assessment. Whenever we transfer Personal Information to different countries, we take steps to ensure that the Personal Information we transfer receives adequate protection in the jurisdictions that we handle or store it.
If you have additional questions about how we protect your Personal Information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Rights concerning your Personal Information
Morningstar recognizes its responsibilities in relation to the collection, use or processing and sharing of personal information under the personal data laws and regulations of Hong Kong. Subject to certain exceptions, you may request (1) to be informed whether we hold Personal Information about you, and if so, access to a copy of the Personal Information collected about you; (2) correction of erroneous or incomplete Personal Information about you and (3) deletion of Personal Information about you subject to certain requirements.
You may make a request concerning your Personal Information by sending us an email at email@example.com. In response to a request, we may ask you for additional information to verify your identity and that you provide further information to help us better fulfill your request.
Please Note: If you request that we delete your personal information and we process that request, we may still retain certain elements of your personal information as permitted by law, including to comply with legal, regulatory, or our own internal policies.
Morningstar Asia Limited
Unit 6807-09, The Center,
99 Queen's Road Central,
Tel : +852 2973 4680