19 Oct 2018
- Estimated long-term flows were $28.2 billion, as U.S. equity funds rebounded with $10.6 billion of inflows and taxable-bond funds led all groups with $20.9 billion, while international equity demand remained light with about $850 million.
- Vanguard led all families with $16.5 billion in inflows, the firm's strongest showing since January.
- Flows are more strategic and less performance-driven. Core funds continue as the most popular categories. Three of the four top Morningstar Categories by flows in September were Core strategies: large-blend, $9.1 billion; intermediate-term bond, $6.1 billion; and foreign large-blend, $3.9 billion.
- Passive funds collected $42.0 billion of inflows and active funds lost $13.7 billion to outflows.
- Outflows have quietly hammered allocation funds, losing $5 billion in September alone and nearly $29 billion year to date.