Skip to Content
Stock Analyst Update

Scana Presents Compelling Risk/Reward Trade-Off

Market skepticism about the deal closing with Dominion is leaving plenty of potential upside.

Mentioned: ,

We are reaffirming our $56 fair value estimate for  Scana (SCG) after written testimony from consumer advocates suggested they won't oppose Dominion's proposed acquisition bid as long as South Carolina regulators cut rates that Scana customers are paying for its abandoned nuclear project. We also are reaffirming our narrow moat and stable moat trend ratings for Scana.

We continue to think Scana represents an attractive risk-reward opportunity.  Dominion's (D) proposed 0.669 all-stock exchange ratio implied 32% upside to Scana's market price on Sept. 25 before the testimony was released. That premium dropped after Scana's stock price rallied on Sept. 26, but we still estimate the market assumes only a 25% chance that the deal will close. Our fair value estimate factors in a 75% likelihood that the all-stock Dominion deal will close and our $84 per share Dominion fair value estimate. 

The testimony shows a gap remains between what Dominion has called its best and only rate plan offer and other proposed rate plans. We think the Office of Regulatory Staff, or ORS, proposal is the most important to watch.

Dominion's plan effectively front-loads the customer benefits through nuclear rate refunds and rate freezes. ORS' plan includes a sharp initial rate cut--from $445 million annualized to $86.2 million--but no nuclear rate refunds and the option for Scana to request non-nuclear base rate increases. ORS also proposes Dominion pass along $70 million of merger savings and federal tax cut adjustments, but we don't think this is a deal breaker.

If regulators reject the Dominion deal, there are several proposals presented in the testimony. Our $68 per share bull case valuation assumes regulators approve near-full nuclear project rate recovery per the state's 2007 Baseload Review Act, as Scana presents in one scenario. Our $32 per share bear case scenario follows other intervenors' proposals that Scana deserves no nuclear project rate recovery.

Morningstar Premium Members gain exclusive access to our full analyst reports, including fair value estimates, bull and bear breakdowns, and risk analyses. Not a Premium Member? Get this and other reports immediately when you try Morningstar Premium free for 14 days.

Travis Miller does not own (actual or beneficial) shares in any of the securities mentioned above. Find out about Morningstar’s editorial policies.

Transparency is how we protect the integrity of our work and keep empowering investors to achieve their goals and dreams. And we have unwavering standards for how we keep that integrity intact, from our research and data to our policies on content and your personal data.

We’d like to share more about how we work and what drives our day-to-day business.

We sell different types of products and services to both investment professionals and individual investors. These products and services are usually sold through license agreements or subscriptions. Our investment management business generates asset-based fees, which are calculated as a percentage of assets under management. We also sell both admissions and sponsorship packages for our investment conferences and advertising on our websites and newsletters.

How we use your information depends on the product and service that you use and your relationship with us. We may use it to:

  • Verify your identity, personalize the content you receive, or create and administer your account.
  • Provide specific products and services to you, such as portfolio management or data aggregation.
  • Develop and improve features of our offerings.
  • Gear advertisements and other marketing efforts towards your interests.

To learn more about how we handle and protect your data, visit our privacy center.

Maintaining independence and editorial freedom is essential to our mission of empowering investor success. We provide a platform for our authors to report on investments fairly, accurately, and from the investor’s point of view. We also respect individual opinions––they represent the unvarnished thinking of our people and exacting analysis of our research processes. Our authors can publish views that we may or may not agree with, but they show their work, distinguish facts from opinions, and make sure their analysis is clear and in no way misleading or deceptive.

To further protect the integrity of our editorial content, we keep a strict separation between our sales teams and authors to remove any pressure or influence on our analyses and research.

Read our editorial policy to learn more about our process.