- Fund fees continue to decline, a big win for investors.
- The question is whether narrowing fee differences between funds will make fees less predictive of future performance than before.
- We examined the rolling returns and fees of all U.S. equity funds over the period September 1998-August 2018.
- We found that funds are performing more alike and fee differences are narrowing.
- However, we find no evidence that fees are having less of an impact on performance as they decline; to the contrary, they appear to be more significant to performance than before.
- This argues for continuing to weigh fees heavily when assessing funds.
To view this article, become a Morningstar Basic member.
Already a member? Sign in.