Skip to Content
Personal Finance

Tax Reporting for Your IRA

Some forms you must file, but others you should file even if not required.

If you own an IRA or Roth IRA, here are some tips regarding tax forms you must file--or should file even if not required. It's not always self-evident how the recipient is supposed to report IRA distributions!

If You Received Form 1099-R
1099-R is the form the IRA provider uses to tell the IRS that it has made a distribution to you from the IRA. Generally IRA distributions are taxable (includible in gross income), so normally you are going to have to report the amount of the distribution on your income tax return, Form 1040.

Your first step should be to make sure the Form 1099-R is correct. Aside from errors in the amount, here are some other common reporting mistakes: A direct IRA-to-IRA transfer is not reportable as a distribution at all--but some IRA providers may mistakenly report such a transfer anyway.

The letter and number codes on the Form 1099-R all mean something; check the list of codes in the IRS instructions to Form 1099-R to make sure your IRA provider has used correct codes. For example, if you are over age 59 1/2, the 1099-R should not show Codes 1 or 2, which are only for "early distributions" (under age 59 1/2).

If you discover an error, try to get the IRA provider to issue a corrected 1099-R, because an error may lead to an unnecessary IRS audit. If you don't succeed in getting a corrected 1099-R, attach a statement to your return explaining why your reporting of the distribution does not match the 1099-R.

The next reporting dilemma concerns how much of the distribution is taxable. For example, a distribution may be nontaxable because it is a qualified distribution from a Roth IRA (Code Q). That one is easy for the individual taxpayer--on line 15a of Form 1040, you put the gross distribution (as indicated on Form 1099-R) and on 15b you enter the "taxable amount," which is zero.

Things get tricky if you have aftertax money in your IRAs. The usual way an individual winds up with aftertax money in an IRA is by making nondeductible contributions to an IRA over the years. See IRS Publication 590-A regarding which IRA contributions are deductible. Less commonly, already-taxed money can wind up inside an IRA due to a rollover of nontaxable distributions from a qualified plan or due to an "excess IRA contribution" that was not timely withdrawn.

If you have aftertax money in an IRA, then almost any distribution you take from any one of your IRAs will "carry out" some of the aftertax money along with pretax (taxable) money. As a reminder, all of your IRAs are considered to be one single account (i.e., they are aggregated) for purposes of determining what proportion of a distribution from any one of them is aftertax money. But the IRA provider will not calculate that for you--Form 1099-R will not indicate what portion of your distribution is a distribution of tax-free aftertax money. Even if the IRA provider is aware that it received nondeductible contributions to the account from you, the IRA provider has no way to know what other IRAs you may own, so it can't apply the aggregation formula. Instead, the IRA provider will put an "X" in Box 2, "taxable portion not determined." You will need to calculate the taxable portion yourself using Form 8606 (see below).

To view this article, become a Morningstar Basic member.

Register for Free