ETFs Roll On
The U.S. ETF industry finished 2009 with nearly 50% year-over-year asset growth.
The U.S. ETF industry closed out 2009 with $785 billion in assets under management, up from $744 billion at the end of November, and $533 billion at the end of 2008. This represents year-over-year total ETF asset growth of nearly 50%. Roughly 40% of this asset growth is attributable to net inflows during the past year while the remaining 60% was the result of strong market performance.
Domestic-Equity Funds Lead the Way in December, Thanks to the SPDR
Despite being the only broad asset class to show net outflows in 2009, U.S. stock ETFs closed out the year with nearly $20 billion in net inflows in December. Helping bolster the category's flows was the ubiquitous SPDRs (SPY), which attracted more than $11.2 billion in net new assets last month. Still, for the full year, SPY saw approximately $21 billion in net outflows. Note that excluding SPY, which--because of its unrivaled liquidity--is a favored tool among money managers looking to temporarily "equitize" cash positions and manage investor inflows and redemptions, the U.S. stock category would have actually shown net inflows of roughly $6.2 billion for the 2009 calendar year.
John Gabriel does not own shares in any of the securities mentioned above. Find out about Morningstar’s editorial policies.
Transparency is how we protect the integrity of our work and keep empowering investors to achieve their goals and dreams. And we have unwavering standards for how we keep that integrity intact, from our research and data to our policies on content and your personal data.
We’d like to share more about how we work and what drives our day-to-day business.
We sell different types of products and services to both investment professionals and individual investors. These products and services are usually sold through license agreements or subscriptions. Our investment management business generates asset-based fees, which are calculated as a percentage of assets under management. We also sell both admissions and sponsorship packages for our investment conferences and advertising on our websites and newsletters.
How we use your information depends on the product and service that you use and your relationship with us. We may use it to:
To learn more about how we handle and protect your data, visit our privacy center.
Maintaining independence and editorial freedom is essential to our mission of empowering investor success. We provide a platform for our authors to report on investments fairly, accurately, and from the investor’s point of view. We also respect individual opinions––they represent the unvarnished thinking of our people and exacting analysis of our research processes. Our authors can publish views that we may or may not agree with, but they show their work, distinguish facts from opinions, and make sure their analysis is clear and in no way misleading or deceptive.
To further protect the integrity of our editorial content, we keep a strict separation between our sales teams and authors to remove any pressure or influence on our analyses and research.
Read our editorial policy to learn more about our process.